“The history of the Perm Region is closely connected with the history of the Gulag. With some degree of conditionality, we can say that the Gulag was born here and it ended here.
At the end of 1925, in the north of the region, the Vishera branch of the Solovetsky Special Purpose Camp (SLON) was created, the prisoners of which were first used in logging and construction of the Vishera paper-pulp-chemical plants. And in the late 80s of the twentieth century, it was in the Perm Region that the last camps for political prisoners in the USSR, which were the heirs of the Gulag, were liquidated.
Forest corrective labor colony No. 6 (ITK No. 6), built in 1942 in the vicinity of the town of Chusovoy, occupies a special place in the history of the Gulag. In 1972, it was on the basis of ITK No. 6 that Perm-36, one of the most famous political camps of the USSR, was formed.
From the book by Leonid Obukhov “Perm-36. Prehistory”.
This section of the virtual museum presents three main periods in the history of the camp, best known as Perm-36:
- The period of the GULAG, which officially operated until the death of Stalin (1942 – 1953)
- The period of detention in the camp of convicted law enforcement officers, when it was called the “cop zone” in criminal circles (1953 – 1972)
- The period when the Perm-36 camp was one of the main detention centers for Soviet political prisoners (1972-1988)